Friday, March 28, 2014

Article 7

     Johnny Manziel is probably the most hyped-up player in the last decade. Texas A&M hosted their pro-day workouts Thursday, March 29th, where Manziel put on a show. 
     Watching the young man workout were NFL general managers, head coaches, and even a former president of the United States. There were a plethora of different people watching, observing, and judging the young quarterback's ability. 
     Manziel is expected to be a high pick, most likely in the first round. He put on a show at his pro-day workout, too. He threw great passes, "an impeccable deep ball" according to former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner. He had "Great touch, good enough velocity and was able to set it out there," continued Warner. 
     There are no doubts surrounding his competitiveness, but there are a few concerns otherwise. A lot of analysts worry about his work ethic and ability to stay in the pocket. Too often at A&M he would roll out of the pocket unnecessarily, but was still capable of making throws. He can throw on the run and while remaining in the pocket. He has a very powerful arm, debatably the second-strongest among all quarterbacks in the 2014 draft. He has no problem with accuracy and ended the day with 61 completions on 64 throws. 
     Manziel handled everything really well, both the athletic performance and the interviews that followed. After the workout he said, "I'm an extremely coachable kid and I'm ready to learn. That's the biggest thing for me," Manziel said. "There were things that I wasn't asked to do at A&M, protections and so many things you have to do, so throw it at me. I want it. I need to learn it eventually. I'm tired of saying 'Man, I wish I would have known that when I was there.' Let's try and get ahead of the game." This showed leadership, confidence, and a willingness to learn which goes a really long way with scouts. He really improved his draft resume and made himself even more likely to go early in the upcoming draft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment